Thursday, January 20, 2011

My 1st trip -To the Land of Smile Day 3 (Part 2)

Sister wanted to have some drink that night before going back to Malaysia so we went to Silom (this is the third time we been to Silom) again. Sister chose a beer house beside the road and we sat facing to the road and watching people who passing by. To be honest, I enjoyed this activity, in Malaysia and at anywhere. It is an art to enjoy every single people, from head to toes, from left to right.


The "mobile" hawker...wakaka
We found an uncle John (this is a common name of US people we thought) was sitting beside. He is cute and kind. I kept snapping his photo, without his permission. Alright, I know this is unethical.


A typical US uncle
I told sister that there is actually another place which is famous of nightlife, Sukhumvit. I read from the book. I don't like nightlife, to be frank. My purpose was actually to travel to somewhere we did not go. We took taxi to Sukhumvit.
It is another area in Bangkok. Bangkok is another sleepless night city. We saw many stalls were still operating along the road in the late night.
Sukhumvit
Sister chose another beer house which I forgot the name. However it is very easy to be recognize that you can find a big snooker table placed at the second floor. Sister initially wanted to play snooker but someone has occupied the table earlier than us. I ordered a glass of apple juice. I don't drink.
There were two Caucasians and one Thai sitting beside us. One of the man asked us to join them. Do not know how reject his over-friendly, we joined them.


I am proud of their good friendship.
The man is an Irish, same to another female with him. He can speak Thai as he has been working in Bangkok over ten years. Same to us, he enjoys travelling around, especially Asia. He plays photographing as well. He was over react that night at which we believe he was drunk.




Although we don't take his conversation serious (since he was drunk) but some have really upset me. We were praising the friendliness of Thais. He then told us, it is proved effective only when you are a tourist. "But in some villages or somewhere are underdeveloped, people there still maintain their pureness", he added then. He shared his experience of after working more than 10 years in this country that Thais now who knew he is not tourist, being no more friendly as they did previously. 
While we mentioned about Silom, he has another view. He asked us if Silom a culture of Thailand. We remained silent and listened to him. He was quite inspiring and said "It is not Thai culture." It is something added in after the country developed and now it has become a tourist site. I felt guilty as I hold the perception that I must visit to the red light district and see those A Qua. I always think it is a culture of Thailand that we cannot missed. 
His words inspire me. He continued, " The original Thais are pure and kind." They changed when the country become developed and urbanised(i added this). This can't be denied that modernisation and urbanisation has seriously corrupted the origin of a culture. 
I felt his grieved toward the changing. But, you know. Things change always because of ourself who made it. I believed that the day when he started working in Thailand, he can be one of those who make this change. Who knows?
That's why our respectable C & C's lecturer, Ms Por said, it is impossible for travelling to seek authenticity. The place lost its authenticity when outsider reached. 

0 wheat(s):