Thursday, July 8, 2010

Update 5

I was assigned an assignment yesterday, a big case.
Our editor in chief purposely came to our class yesterday morning. I heard Teck Joo said that he was there to distribute assignment to us. I was thinking, who is so unlucky? Even Teck Joo, he just walked away from him when he heard what the chief editor said.
It was 11.45am, Ms Liana gave us break. I saw our chief editor walked toward us. I saw Jie Ee was following him that I thought " Oh, Jie Ee is the one who unlucky lo!".
He stopped when he reached the seat beside Corene. I smell something I think.
Just exactly what I thought the moment before he spoke, I am the next unlucky one.
I remembered I told Teck Joo that I have never reported news for J-on. J-on has fridged me.
Now he gave me the opportunity. I should have appreciate the opportunity.
It was a "crime" news. The editor in chief elaborated the relationship chain of the first party and the third party, as well as the chain of the witness.
Yet we unable to reach the witness since he refused to accept our interview. The chain break then.
I was like a policewoman who investigating a crime. I went to Block B to ask the guard there since it is the first scene the incident happened. Yet, useless, the guard knew nothing. He just ask me to refer to East gate security.
Then, I walked to Block A in order to submit my assignment and looked for my "friend".
Friend, he is a Malay guard. He is friendly and is a chatterbox. I talk to him everytime I saw him as I managed to get some info from him sometimes.
I asked him about the incident. He told me the guard involved was at south gate guard house that time I asked him.
I cycled to the guard house without any consideration.
I knew I got to interview him especially after the first party and witness line has broken. I know he is important in this incident.
Out of my expectation, he was not fierce but in contrary, he is friendly and can talk a lot to me.
I was surprise honestly.
Like what I have written in my previous blog piece, the first party's boyfriend(3rd party) sms me and told me if we do not put the blog down, the police will take action towards us.
I don't know how serious is it, in fact.
I don't feel fear if came to police as I was just reporting truth.
Yet what I was concerning is our media ethics.
I afraid that it is unethical to report when the people involved told us not to publish.
I could not make the balance between it.
I am not scared. I was just thinking of am I an ethical journalist?
I went for our respectable lecturer today during break.
Luckily Corene accompanied me, this is the encouragement from her which gave me strength.
I told the handsome lecturer, M, the whole long story.
I asked M, am I breaking our code of ethics.
M told me, you must be very clear with the objective of establishing J-on. Is it to report truth, to be objective.
Now we got to know this news, this truth, so it is our responsibilty to report the truth.
Exactly, I will always remember the first rule, which is to report the truth.
M's piece of advice reminded me the responsibility of journalist.
I will hold this reminder hardly when I step into the society in the future.
What is important for us who as a journalist is, the truth.
Our job is to inform the public the truth and provide an access for them to the real world.
All the best, Pei Suang.
Wish you walk smoothly as a journalist in the future.
May all my friends the same as well.

1 wheat(s):

Weiyi said...

gambateh~
事实就是事实,铁一般的事实。
对得起天地良心,什么都不用怕啦~^^
你们这行的确实不容易hor。。。
所以,你更要努力加油啦~
加油加油~^^